These guidelines have been established in accordance
with the objectives of the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America
and The German Shorthaired Pointer Club of Minnesota and are intended to protect and advance the German Shorthaired Pointer
by maintaining high breed standards, responsible breeding practices and
integrity in dealing with purchasers of the GSPs. Breeders of German
Shorthaired Pointers wishing to be listed by the GSPCA or GSPCMN agree to follow
these guidelines :
- Maintain high standards of canine health, including cleanliness of facilities, and veterinary care.
- Properly socialize dogs and puppies.
- Breed only with the intention of maintaining the conformation and performance standards of the breed.
- Breed only healthy, mature dogs and bitches of good temperament
and qualities substantially conforming to the official standard of the
- Breed only dogs or bitches that have been tested clear of hereditary diseases and defects.
- Breed only dogs or bitches that have no disqualifying faults.
- Refuse stud service to any bitch which is obviously inferior in
quality or temperament or not registered with the American Kennel Club.
- Do not breed any bitch more than twice in any two-year period.
- Do not sell or consign puppies or adult dogs to pet shops,
brokers, or other commercial dealers, nor offer them as raffle prizes or
- Honestly evaluate the quality of each German Shorthaired
Pointer sold, fairly representing field and/or show potential, its
possible faults and make the buyer aware of the distinction between pet
quality and show quality.
- Do not release any puppies for sale before they are seven weeks of age.
- Furnish the buyer with a pedigree, AKC registration
application, medical and immunization records, feeding schedule and
general care instructions.
- Screen prospective buyers to assure that puppies will have the proper home and environment.
- Encourage purchasers of pet quality puppies, or those not
intended to be used for breeding, to spay / neuter the animal at the
earliest age suggested by their veterinarian.
- Sell pet quality puppies on limited registration.
- Do not misrepresent in advertising, any dog or puppy for
sale, or include misleading information regarding the background or
potential of the animal.
- Provide the purchaser with a written contract offering to
refund the purchase price or replace any puppy found to have a disabling
or life threatening defect which prevents the dog from fulfilling it’s
- Provide the purchaser with copies of health certifications of sire and dam if requested.
- Assist in the placement of any dog sired by their stud dog
whose breeder of record has refused to help in such placement of said
- Follow up on puppies after the sale to insure their continued care.
- Encourage puppy buyers to participate in German Shorthaired
Pointer activities such as hunt tests, obedience trials, field trials,
tracking tests, agility and conformation shows, and recommend membership
in the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of Minnesota as well as the GSPCA.
Courtesy of the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America (GSPCA)